After publishing the article on Suicide, a cry for help, someone wrote me and asked me to write another article on the topic. At the moment I had nothing in mind so I wasn’t able to. Until recently I heard that a parent had the intention to sue Selena Gomez and the production team for ’13 reasons why’ for their child commiting suicide after watching the series.
I’m sure the parents feel justified enough to sue them. However I’d like to think that when Selena and team came up with the idea of the series, they didn’t count on teenagers taking their own lives after watching it. I think they just wanted to create awareness and show how actions which most people think are normal like bullying and a heartbreak can build up and cause serious damage to a young person to an extent of suicide.
But that’s just my thinking.
In today’s article, I would like to share a positive message.
Here are 13 reasons why NOT to commit suicide:-
It goes without saying that 1, 2, 3 and 4 are;. You are loved!!
Trust me that in this world, there are more people who love you than those who hate you. Maybe they don’t show it enough but they do love you. Learn to look at the bright side. We, human beings, tend to focus too much on the wrong few people do us ignoring the many good things most people do for us. You have your family and friends, some who would move heaven and earth just to make you smile. And if you feel that they are letting you down, remember that God loves you. He may feel distant at times, but every time I need a friend and no one is around, I always feel God’s presence. You just have to seek Him out. Unconditional love!!! Do you know how rare that is?? And it’s all for free. I’ll repeat, YOU ARE LOVED!!!😊😍😍
5. You are capable: sure you got problems. But be assured that you are equipped to overcome them. You are stronger than you know. Maybe life is just carrying out compression and tension tests on you.
6. You are unique: Ain’t nobody like you in the world. At least while we think that this is the only reality in existence. So you going out too soon is like a brick missing from the brick game. It just makes the game all wrong.
7. You are talented: You may be yet to discover your talent. Or you may already know what you’re good at. Each one of us has a purpose. What if you were to live to be a blessing to someone. Do you realize that committing suicide means denying someone their blessings? Don’t deny the world the opportunity to experience your greatness, because you are full of greatness
8 & 9. You are not your own: Now I know how this sounds, but here’s what I mean. We Christians believe that Christ died for us, then we were bought. The old died and a new being came. We belong to Him. If someone leases something out to you, it’s not yours. So you have no right to destroy it. If you do not believe that, then you’d better believe that you belong to your country and to your family. There are people who invested and still are investing in you. People have expectations of you. They have dreams of what you could become and the impact you could have in the world.
10. It’s illegal: I don’t know about other countries, but in ours, if you tried to take your own life, I’m not sure if you would be taken to hospital first or get arrested. That is if your mission goes unaccomplished. As I just said you are not your own. I once asked someone why people get arrested and they told me that when the government invests in you by subsidising your education and other things, you sorta owe them. So you should live long enough to serve and repay them. Not sure how true that is😂
11. It’s a lonely way to go: At a point when one is convinced that suicide is the only way out, they must feel alone and unloved. And after you’re gone people avoid talking about you. A stigmatisation of some sort. A taboo. It almost seems as if people would prefer to forget you much as they cannot. People look for someone to blame and when they don’t find one, it destroys them.
12. It’s never that serious: Life is already short, no need to make it shorter. Once in a while it’s good to laugh some things off. Life is never that serious. Enjoy it while it lasts. If things get difficult, tap yourself on the back and say “what a joke…”. Then go ahead and do it right. You’re your own boss. Goodness knows I’ve done this enough times. When I’m stressed about all the deadlines I have to meet, I just sleep. My peace of mind is more important than anything else
13. It’s not the only solution: In fact, it should never be a solution. Yes it shouldn’t!! You could start by talking it out with someone, writing helps too. You could get surprised by how you can convert negative energy into positive energy… Some of the best actors, poets and authors have tormented minds. See how well they use it. These could not be the only solutions. Get out there and find more.
I believe life is a beautiful thing. To be protected and valued. You matter!! Close to 8B people in the world but you still count. You definitely do.
When things become too difficult, ask for help
I hope my message is helpful. I intend to research further into mental health in order to write more from fact than from my own thoughts. In case you have any information you would like to share or any topic you would like me to write about, please do write to me.